Saturday, October 30, 2010

Lost Pictures, Memories, and Traditions

So I'm very bummed out today! I finally decided to update my blog due to my brothers request and some of my pictures that I took I can't find them anywhere! If I find my Memorial Day pictures I will have to put those on here!

That day has always been very special for my family. Each year on Saturday before Memorial Day we get up bright and early go over and grab Grandma Edie! Then we make the long (ok so its not that long but as a kid it seemed like forever) trip down to Beaver to go and decorate the graves. When we were little Becky and I would make this trip every year with Grandma Edie and Grandpa Walt. Grandma always had treats for us to eat while we went down and some kind of entertainment. Grandpa was always the driver and had control over the air conditioning. And for some reason we always froze.

When we get down to Beaver we get all the flowers out and unloaded. The graves are next to be cleaned because Grandma would never let a single piece of grass stay on those headstones. Then we would make the trip to the river (its not really a river but at fast moving stream but once again as kid it seemed like it) to get the water. Yes, we would get the water from that! When we were little Grandpa usually got the water and we tried to help but as we got older he let us do it. We would grab the bucket and stick it in the water, one of us usually holding on to the other so we didn't fall in. Sometime we would successful and get the water other times we get wet. Most of the time the bucket came back half full and we would take several trips to get the amount of water that we needed.

One of the years that we were there we found a headstone that just said "Indian Princess". We have no idea who she is but each year we have placed some flowers there for her. We figured that she was a princess and should have some flowers also. So each year after that Grandma has specially got flowers just for her.

Since we have gotten older and Becky has moved away cute little MeMe has taken our places most years and instead of Grandpa going down it has been our parents, MeMe, and of course the cutest little lady Grandma Edie.

But this isn't over yet! Even after the graves are done we don't just leave and go home but we stop every year and get some food at Arshel's! This has been our spot each year! It's one of the best places to stop and eat in Beaver. So if you ever get the chance you should eat there!

This year was very special for me because I was able to take my dear husband Travis with us. It was fun to be able to share this adventure with him!

Thanks Grandma for the wonderful tradition that we have! This trip has always been special to me and I have loved spending that time with you!

No comments: